Michael Laing (rock_dinosaur) wrote in brsteam,
Michael Laing
rock_dinosaur
brsteam

BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0

BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0
Introduced: 1953.
Boiler pressure: 225psi.
Cylinders: (O) 17½" x 26".
Driving wheel diameter: 5'3".
Tractive effort: 24,170 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 59 tons 2 cwt.



76002
Built: BR Horwich Works.
To traffic: December 1952, allocated to Motherwell (66B).
Withdrawn: December 1966.
Scrapped: Motherwell Machinery and Scrap, Wishaw, May 1967.


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76002 shunts at the east end of Forfar yard whilst ex-LMSR Class 5 2-6-0 No. 42800 joins the main line at Forfar North Junction with the daily goods train from Arbroath, 18th December, 1954. [W.A.C. Smith]



76004
Built: BR Horwich Works.
To traffic, allocated to Motherwell (66B): December 1952.
Reallocated to Greenock Ladyburn (66D): 19th January, 1963.
Reallocated to Polmadie (66A): 26th December, 1964.
Withdrawn: October 1966.
Scrapped by Campbell's, Airdrie: January 1967.


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76004 stands outside Polmadie Shed during August 1966. [George Woods]



76046


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76046 approaches Ratho Viaduct, to the west of Newbridge Junction, with a westbound train of tank wagons on 10th May, 1965. No. 76046 was built at BR Doncaster Works in March 1955 and was initially allocated to Gateshead Shed. By the end of the 1950s it was allocated to West Auckland Shed. It was allocated to Dawsholm Shed from October 1963 to October 1964, to Grangemouth Shed until October 1965, and finally to Corkerhill Shed until its withdrawal from traffic in May 1967. [Brian Flannigan]



76073


Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44723 and BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76073 head away from the Urr Viaduct with the combined 4.10pm Glasgow Central to Stranraer Harbour and 6.0pm Dumfries to Kirkcudbright trains on 21st April, 1965. Nos. 44723 and 76073 were allocated to Dumfries Shed. [J.C. Beckett]


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76073 passes over Goldielea Viaduct with the 08.07 Dumfries to Kirkcudbright train on 22nd April, 1965. No. 76073 was allocated to Ayr Shed. [J.C. Beckett]



76090
Built: BR Horwich Works.
to traffic: June 1957, allocated to Corkerhill (67A).
Reallocated to Parkhead (65C): 14th January, 1961.
Reallocated to Beattock (68D): 8th September, 1962.
Withdrawn: December 1966.
Scrapped: Shipbreaking Industries, Faslane, April 1967.


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76090 approaches at Hyndland Station with the empty stock of the 11.53am train to Airdrie on 1st April, 1961. The timber platform-extensions were provided to accommodate non-corridor trains during the temporary withdrawal of the 'Blue Trains' due to serious electrical faults. Gartnavel Mental Hospital is visible above the leading carriages of the train, with Whiteinch sidings are on the right. [W.A. C. Smith]



76093
Built: BR Horwich Works.
To traffic: July 1957, allocated to Corkerhill (67A).
Reallocated to Parkhead (65C): 14th January, 1961.
Reallocated to Corkerhill (67A): 21st October, 1961.
Withdrawn: February 1967.
Scrapped: Campbell's, Airdrie, April 1967.


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76093 heads an eastbound train at Hyndland (New) Station on 24th April, 1961. This station opened with the introduction of electric trains on the North Clyde network on 5th November, 1960, but serious problems with the trains' electrical equipment resulted in steam traction being restored on 19th December, 1960, and continuing until the restoration of electric working ten months later. [W.S. Sellar]


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76093 approaches St. Enoch Station with the 16.11 train from Renfrew Fulbar Street on 6th May, 1966. [M. Dunnett]



76096


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76096 moves onto the Ayr Harbour lines at Newton Junction, 12th April, 1966. [George Woods]


BR Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76096 brings a train of empty 16-ton mineral wagons from Ayr Harbour towards Newton Junction, 12th April, 1966. [George Woods]


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76096 leaves the Ayr Harbour Branch at Newton Junction with a train of empty 16-ton mineral wagons, 12th April, 1966. [George Woods]



76098
Built: BR Horwich Works.
To traffic: October 1957, allocated to Corkerhill (67A).
Reallocated to Ardrossan (67D): 30th May, 1964.
Reallocated to Ayr (67C): 27th February, 1965.
Reallocated to Beattock (66F): 25th December, 1965.
Withdrawn: May 1967.
Scrapped: T.W. Ward, Inverkeithing, March 1968.


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76098 passes though the closed Elvanfoot Station on 30th May, 1966, with a very short Carstairs to Beattock goods train. This station was located at the junction with the Wanlockhead & Leadhills Light Railway, but by this time little trace of the branch remained. [Hugh Ballantyne]



76105
Built: BR Doncaster Works.
To traffic, allocated to Kittybrewster (61A): July 1957.
Reallocated to Aberdeen Ferryhill (61B): 1st July, 1961.
Reallocated to Dalry Road (64C): 30th December, 1961.
Reallocated to Bathgate (64F): 28th March, 1964.
Reallocated to Polmadie (66A): 29th January, 1966.
Withdrawn: January 1966.
Scrapped by Motherwell Machinery and Scrap, Wishaw: April 1966.


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76105 runs between Haghill Junction and Parkhead Junction on 16th July, 1960, with the 9.45am Glasgow Fair special from Clydebank Central to Whitley Bay, routed by way of Springburn and Bathgate. On the left, ex-North British Railway Class C (LNER Class J36) 0-6-0 No. No.65246 has been put in the loop to allow the passage of a DMU special from Airdrie to St. Andrews. [W.A.C. Smith]



76108


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 no. 76108 arrives at Keith with a westbound goods train in September 1957. [W.J.V. Anderson]



76109


BR Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0 No. 76109 heads the 13.50 Thornton Junction to Dunfermline train westbound past the Minto colliery bing between Cardenden and Lochgelly in April 1959. [W.J.V. Anderson]



76110


BR Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0 No. 76110 is pictured shortly after leaving Rosyth Halt with the 11.35 train from Dunfermline Upper to Edinburgh Waverley in February 1960. [W.A.C. Smith]


BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76110 has its tender replenished at Dunfermline Shed on 12th March, 1966. [Stephen Hall]
Tags: class 4 2-6-0
Subscribe
Comments for this post were disabled by the author