Michael Laing (rock_dinosaur) wrote in brsteam,
Michael Laing
rock_dinosaur
brsteam

BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0

Introduced: 1951.
Boiler pressure: 225 psi.
Cylinders: (O) 19" x 28".
Driving wheel diameter: 6' 2".
Tractive effort: 26,120 lbs.
Weight: locomotive: 76 tons 4 cwt. Tender: -



73008


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73008 heads the Tuesdays- and Thursdays-only goods train at Careston on 19th May, 1964, prior to departing for Forfar. [J. Spencer Gilks]



73009


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73009 heads the 5.15pm train from Forres to Aviemore at a location between Dunphail and Dava Summit on 13th May, 1952. [W.J.V. Anderson]



73059
Built: BR Derby Works.
To traffic, allocated to Polmadie (66A): August 1954.
Withdrawn: May 1967.
Scrapped by Campbell's, Airdrie: August 1967.


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73059 passes Kingmoor Shed with train 1M97 on 17th July, 1965. [W.S. Sellar]


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73059 and ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 45227 are seen at Polmadie Shed during August 1966. [George Woods]



73063
Built: BR Derby Works.
To traffic, allocated to Polmadie (66A): October 1954.
Withdrawn: June 1966.
Scrapped by Motherwell Machinery and Scrap, Wishaw: October 1966.

BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73063 at Polmadie Shed during August 1966. [George Woods]



73064
Built at Derby Works
To traffic: October 1954, allocated to Polmadie (66A).
Withdrawn: May 1967.
Scrapped: September 1967. Broken up by Campbell's, Airdrie.


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73064 climbs between Greskine and Harthope with train 1S43 on 31st July, 1965. No. 73064 was allocated to Polmadie Shed. [John G. Robin]



73072
Built: BR Crewe Works.
To traffic: 11th December, 1954, allocated to Chester (Midland) (6A).
Reallocated to Polmadie (66A): 22nd November, 1958.
Withdrawn: October 1966.
Scrapped: May 1967. Broken up by Arnott Young, Carmyle.


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0s Nos. 73108 and 73072 prepare to depart from Oban Station with an excursion train to Glasgow in May 1961. [M. Mensing/Colour-Rail]


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73072 climbs through Greskine Cutting with train 1X36, a northbound extra working, on 31st July, 1965. No. 73072 was allocated to Polmadie Shed. [John G. Robin]



73077


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73077 and ex-LNER Class B1 4-6-0 No. 61243 SIR HAROLD MITCHELL double-head the 1.0pm Mallaig to Glasgow Queen Street train approaching County March Summit on 12th September, 1959. [Colour-Rail]


On 13th August, 1960, BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73077 waits to depart from Arrochar and Tarbet Station with the 10.15am Glasgow Queen Street to Fort William train, while ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0s Nos. 44973 and 44956 approach the station with the 6.30am Mallaig to Glasgow Queen Street train. [G.W. Morrison]



73078


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73078 and ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44977 approach Craigendoran Station with the 1.0pm Mallaig to Glasgow Queen Street train on 14th September, 1955. [W.A.C. Smith]


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73078 departs from Glen Douglas Station with a Glasgow-bound train, 15th June, 1959. [Derek Penney]


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73078 and ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44977 head a northbound train at Ardlui Station during 1960. [C. Lawson Kerr]


Opened in 1933, Thornton Junction Shed provided plenty of steam activity when photographed on 14th June, 1964. Engines on shed are, from left to right, an ex-LNER Class B1 4-6-0, an ex-War Department 'Austerity' 2-8-0, BR Standard Class 5MT 4-6-0 No. 73078, ex-NBR Class J37 0-6-0 No. 64618, and under the coaling plant, an ex-LNER Class J38 0-6-0. In the background can be seen one of the winding towers of the Rothes Colliery. With an allocation of around 107 engines in British Railways days, reducing to only 37 in 1966, the depot was closed in April 1970. All evidence of this once-important railway centre has disappeared, the area returning to a green-field site where sheep now graze. [B.E. Teasdale]



73100
Built: BR Doncaster Works.
To traffic, allocated to Corkerhill (67A): 26th August, 1955.
Withdrawn: January, 1967.
Scrapped by Motherwell Machinery and Scrap, Wishaw: May 1967.


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73100 prepares to depart from St. Enoch Station with a special working during June 1966, very shortly before the end of passenger operations from the station. [Eastbank Model Railway Club]



73107
Built: BR Doncaster Works.
To traffic: December 1955, allocated to Eastfield (65A).
Reallocated to Inverness (60A): 6th July, 1957.
Reallocated to Perth South (63A): 26th October, 1957.
Reallocated to Motherwell (66B): 25th July, 1964.
Withdrawn: September 1966.
Scrapped: June 1967. Broken up by Motherwell Machinery and Scrap, Wishaw.


Just north of Greskine Signal Box on Beattock Incline, BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73107 works flat-out at the head of a northbound train of iron ore hoppers on 10th October, 1963. Ex-LMSR Class 4 2-6-4T No. 42192 assists at the rear. [Hugh Ballantyne]



73108


Assisted by a banking locomotive at the rear, BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73108 climbs Cowlairs Incline on 20th July, 1957, with the 9.20am Evening Citizen TV Show Train from Glasgow Queen Street to St. Andrews. The train of ex-LNER carriages included a buffet and had a TV studio and closed-circuit television installed at Cowlairs Works. Its first outing was to Oban in 1956, and in addition to public excursions the train was available for school trips and private hire. Its last run took place during 1962. [W.A.C. Smith]


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0s Nos. 73108 and 73072 prepare to depart from Oban Station with an excursion train to Glasgow in May 1961. [M. Mensing/Colour-Rail]



73146


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73146 waits on the St. Rollox Shed departure road to back down to Buchanan Street Station to work a Dundee train on 8th March, 1965. [Brian Flannigan]



73148


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73148 departs from Dundee West station with a train for Glasgow in March 1958. [W. Anderson]



73149


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73149 climbs past Balornock with a northbound train on 10th May, 1965. No. 73149 had been allocated to St. Rollox Shed when new in May 1957 and remained there until November 1966, when it was transferred to Stirling Shed, from where it was withdrawn from service the following month. [Brian Flannigan]



73151


BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 No. 73151, one of a batch of thirty of this class which were fitted with Caprotti valve gear, awaits departure from Oban with a train for Edinburgh and Glasgow during May 1960. [Colour-Rail]
Tags: class 5 4-6-0
Subscribe
Comments for this post were disabled by the author